The mission of PERG is to foster collaborative research among the CEU faculty and students working in the area of political economy in general and in the field of varieties of transnational capitalisms in particular.
PERG began with regular informal meetings of faculty and PhD students in 2006. Since January 2007 it has been formalized with a statute as an official student-faculty research group whose membership runs across several CEU departments.
The aims of PERG are:
- foster collaborative research among the CEU faculty and students working in the area of political economy, concentrating primarily but not exclusively on the area of Central and Eastern Europe;
- run weekly research seminars for its members during both teaching semesters of the academic year;
- run public seminars on topics related to the PERG´s research;
- establish a series of 'Research Notes' on the research topics shared by the PERG's members;
- run research training workshops in order to transfer tacit knowledge and provide students with better understanding of the demands of their research field and academic labor market;
- cooperate with similar groups at other universities and with similarly focused academic societies; organize the biannual Graduate Student workshop on political economy research of varieties of capitalism;
- run a public blog where the members contribute short blog spots within the area of their research interest. The blog serves as a tool for representing both PERG and CEU to the academic world and to the public outside the university community.